Mamdani Law, PLLC

Import & Export Law | Houston Business Attorney | Mamdani Law PLLC

Houston Texas Tax Business Attorney IRS Collection Notice Offshore FBAR Lien Internal Revenue Service Library Experts Lawyer Attorneys Lawyers Expert Small Business Corporations International Immigration Top lawyers best Counsel trial court courthouses notice levy tax return deductions exemptions taxes dues penalty penalties. International Tax Attorneys. IRS Collection Dispute. Trademark. Import Export Mamdani Law PLLC (281) 533-6600

Import and Export Law


"Each country imposes different import and export control laws and regulations, to determine if your items are subject to another country's laws and regulations, an import-export lawyer can guide you through the customs laws and international trade issues."


Import License or Permit

Importing can help your business expand at home or abroad. In most cases, you will not need a license to import goods into the U.S. but for certain goods being imported, some agencies may require a license, permit or other certification. Although most items imported by buyers do not require a license, the items are still subject to import control laws and regulations.

Customs valuation

When good are imported to the U.S., the importer are responsible for declaring the correct dutiable value of the goods. The "dutiable value" is calculated based on the price payable or actually paid for the goods when sold for export to the U.S. If the value of the goods is in excess of its proper value, the importer will pay a greater amount than necessary.

Seizure and Forfeitures

U.S. Customs & Border Protection can detain or seize the imported goods if the goods fail to comply with the regulations at the time of entry. When the imported goods are seized or detained,it is essential to address the issue promptly and properly.

Export License or Permit

Some basic consumer goods items with no particular technological sophistication can be exported without a license. Certain type of exports must be complied with prior to exportation from the United States. Items that have both commercial and military applications are considered as dual-use items. Generally, to export dual-use items, a license must be obtained from the Department of Commerce Bureau of industry and Security. 

International Traffic in Arms Regulations ("ITAR")

International Traffic in Arms Regulations ("ITAR") is a United States regulatory regime to restrict and control the export of defense and military related technologies to safeguard U.S. national security and further U.S. foreign policy. The Department State Directorate of Defense Trade Control ("DDTC") has jurisdiction over ITAR. Under ITAR, before an export can take place, a license must first be obtained.

Currency/Money Seizures

The Bank Secrecy Act of 1970 ("BSA" or "Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act") requires financial institution in the U.S. to assist the U.S. government agencies to detect and prevent money laundering. The Act states that a person must file a report with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection when the person intends to transport, attempt to transport, or causes to be transported currency or other monetary instruments in an aggregated amount exceeding $10,000 at one time from the United States to any foreign country, or into the United States from a foreign country.